PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective
Old 11th Oct 2004, 06:13
goates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard,

It all depends on what your values are.

At home I like to tinker with my computer and play the latest and greatest games, so I built myself a PC with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes it also has Linux on it. It was also in my price range.

Although lately a Mac and an XBox have seemed pretty attractive.

On the other hand, for work I would much rather be using a Mac if possible than Windows. I can't think of a way to accurately describe it on a web forum, but the Mac tends to keep out of the way better. Windows loves to let me know that it is there. Linux is even worse and practically uses a 2x4. Meanwhile the Mac just seems to disappear into the background.

Yes Macs are expensive, but so are Porsches and Bombardier Global Expresses. For the home user who drives a Civic and flies Southwest, a Mac is expensive. On the other hand, graphics pros who depend on the computer for their jobs, the Mac could quite possibly be a better value (look at the $10,000+ Sun workstations some used to use).

When I have the money, I know I will have a Mac sitting next to my Windows box. Choice and competition are good for us all.

goates