PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith's Media Release for Monday 20 Sep 04
Old 11th Oct 2004, 04:23
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bobster once upon a time I was working in a really nice corporate jet job and we got a new (non flying)manager..ex Australian Army pilot one week retired from the army as a LtCol. He destroyed the operation in 6 months and was the most dishonest and incompetent individual I have ever come across in aviation. Previous/current qualifications as a pilot are no indication of skill in other areas...honesty and an ability to listen to qualified experts (as opposed to nutcases with a proven bad track record) work as part of a team and have no hidden adjendas is a good place to start. This chap from SA might be fantastic but I bet he won't be given the opportunity.

hermeias.

Why is it clear they were below MSA/MORA/LSA? I think I'd rather wait for the report myself. In a previous life we used to set off the GPWSs regularly...if visual/day we could just say "Noted visual" ...if not we climbed as per SOP. Why is it not deemed feasible that the QF crew were at LSA and got a spurious warning? They do happen you know...but at night you have no option than to react as per SOPs....as far as I understand QF crews don't have the option of ignoring GPWS warnings when visual. LSA/MORA/MSA give 1000' buffer to the highest terrain within a defined area at the altitudes they were flying at...it is not uncommon to get a 'hard' warning when approaching terrain at a higher rate than the black box can cope with but still never break a minimum safe altitude. As I understand it they recieved a warning 2500' above the obstacle....hardly worth reporting me thinks.