PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freedom Boeing 737 grounded
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2004, 05:55
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So MOR;

My other observation would be that there are two different realities at work here. It may well be that the Flight Safety Officer, the Fleet Manager, and the Chief Training Captain all simply want to get to the cause and learn the lesson; but other senior managers in the company, perhaps more aware of the damage done to the reputation and bottom line of the company, will be screaming for blood. Often, even in relatively enlightened airlines, there will be a call for somebodies' head. I've seen it happen way too often.

It must be time now for that thread we talked about earlier on how we might work out an industry system that deals equitably with the two seemingly opposing realities consequences of an action based on a line of yours which rang out of the rest of the stuff on this thread, well for me anyway.
Sometimes, the responsibility of being the captain involves simply raising your hand and saying "I screwed up".
IMHO the seemingly opposing realities handled correctly are in fact the same and it should be possible for them to be resolved without the neccesity for him/her to be publicly disembowelled.

It's so messy and their blood on the walls and floor really doesn't settle the punters down any time soon.

Prod nudge push