PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - INS alignment on aircraft carrier
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2004, 23:05
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was 'Freddie' on a FA2 squadron 00-02. In the old days of FRS1 there were 2 ways of aligning NAVHARS as it was then. Freddie could pass ships position, course and speed on telebrief and then the pilot would enter aircrafts heading ( true bearing the nose pointing whilst on deck based on info given by the engineers out on deck). Alternatively if telebriefs was U/S the bridge would pass the info the flight deck and somebody would walk around with the information on a board and show it to each aircraft (which I am sure worked a treat at night...)

In the present days of FA2 the IN/GPS is a bit more snazzy and clever and the information above is passed over a usually more reliable telebrief and the INGPS does its stuff with a little less hassle i suspect. If I remember rightly it is clever enough to work out the aircraft heading whilst parked on deck and sense the ships course and speed with the aid of GPS. Perhaps on current FA2 pilot can enlighten us.

When it all went really peashaped 'Freddie' could be asked for vectors and a talkdown back to 'mum'.