PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfield closure .......
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2004, 11:57
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfield closure .......

Advice anyone, on how to tackle a rather sticky problem at a Local Authority airfield in Scotland ?

This airfield, which just happens to be the only suitable airport (probably in the UK) for getting floatplanes out of the water, onto a ramp, lifted onto a flatbed and then over to the maintenance facility.

Early days yet, but there are at least 3, (possibly five) aircraft that really need this facility.

However .... for various reasons (most IMHO, specious, and all along the lines of 'can't do that .. health + safety .... insurance ... too difficult ..... etc..' rather than.... 'how can we help you?') it has been decreed that access via this ramp is forbidden.

No consultation, nothing. I suspect that someone got wind that we were planning to try this procedure, and rather than think how to help make it work, has just become obstructive.

Now if this was closing down a facility for landplanes there would be an outcry and a period of consultation ......

I should stress that most staff at the airport could not have been more helpful, from ATC to engineers, but it appears their hands are tied. I would have thought a unique facility like this should be developed and encouraged - should that not be part of the airports remit ? - already the engineering facility could be losing 3 annuals and associated 50hr checks ... £20k per annum?

Short of hiring a kamikaze pilot for a clinical strike can anyone suggest ways of solving this irritation.

(Believe me, I feel we have exhausted all possibilities of researching other airfields. The only alternative seems to be helicoptering the aircraft as an underslung load, but at £800ph it really is for a one off operation).

Last edited by PH-UKU; 9th Oct 2004 at 14:25.