PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith's Media Release for Monday 20 Sep 04
Old 8th Oct 2004, 12:36
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could join you Gaunty.

Aviation is a conservative and self-interested industry, and I rarely bother getting involved in political discussions with its participants.

Over the last eight years I have taken faith in the fact that we are one of the lucky countries that gets the government we actually vote for. If it's not the one you want, well, be grateful that our system of checks and balances guarantees he's not going to be a murderous tyrant and that the will of the people prevails, no matter how uninformed that will may appear to be to those who disagree with the result.

This time I feel sad. Apart from the possibility of mass vote for Labor in Qld marginals, it appears apathy is going to rule. Scare tactics (how long are they going to keep bringing up 18% interests rates under Whitlam?) and a massively irresponsible spending spree designed purely to get Howard across the line as second-longest serving PM, together with the combined help of Murdoch and Packer, mean the Coalition will win tomorrow.

This is the 21st century version of the 1969 election. The true believers think it will happen, but it's still three years away. Unlike most people I would have no objection to a coalition government with Costello in charge, but the thought of this nasty blinkered little liar with not a hint of a vision or an agenda continuing to drag Australia's reputation down through sheer self-interest is almost too much to bear.

Somebody please tell me when he will surpass Hawke as second longest serving PM so I have some idea of how long we will have to put up with his self-serving lies.

Woomera, I could put in something about the execrable Anderson as an aviation-related matter to justify this post, but I ask that you let this run. After all the election result will probably be known in 24 hours. The other members of the Iraqi triumvirate have their long running threads on JB. We appear to be stuck with this as the closest thing. It would be a shame if such short term political commentary were banned when it will become irrelevant in a day's time.

As a disclaimer here, I declare on my mother's grave that I have never voted Labor in my life, but please let a minor miracle occur tomorrow.