PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An antipodean asks
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2004, 10:39
enicalyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my latest input

Hi Guys!!

If you read www.shelco.sh you'll have a pretty good site to read up on.

The airport stalled a bit with GIC Ltd being the first consultants pulled in by DfID and now it has gone to WS Atkins.

After a lot of delay it looks like UK Govet has come around to realising pretty much that Shelco were right all along only they have wasted 3 years and half a mill faffing around.

Last I heard it was to be about 1900m more or less into the ESE trades for takeoff with two runways joined to form a Vee-shape. The second runway is only 1500m or so with a cross-wind component ffor landing only Reason? Topography and glide-slope. So you get enough to land on and a decent approach. No one in their right mind would land on the long runway as a) over a misty moun tain and b) not 3 deg or anything like!!

As to VOR if there is one its at the vee intersection at a guess but who is going to install obsolescent gear and then rip it out before the paint is dry?

It would a 180-min ETOPs place and by all input a 737NG/A319 would be 70 tonnes gross. BBJ can do Orly and also Stansted in one lash. I dont think the A319 can take enough ACTs and might have to run 5 tonnes lighter.

Difficulty with this SCAT1 is this... is it enough and what happens if the DGPS throws a wobby? You know, degrades and says it has been a bit poorly for the last 2-3 mins. Okay you have a 2hr island reserve but wouldn't MLS be better but has anybody bought one yet??