PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - want to buy myself a job...
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2004, 07:28
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damned if you do - Damned if you don't.

Take the advice given above: your damned if you do and damned if you don't, and (no matter what you do) in this industry work twice as hard as the next bloke, and keep it to yourself!

I started in this game 12 years ago and have learnt to keep quiet through some tough lessons. There are many pilots out there who will disagree with whatever and however you progress It will never be good enough unless you did it the same way they did it. 404 time is better than Chieftan time, Territory time is better than the southern states...... yadda, yadda, yadda.

I've seen guys into in CX with 1450 hrs (200 twin time) and others miss out with 6000 hrs (3000+ turbine time), and then hear the rants and raves that it's all rigged, that so and so must have known, shagged or paid someone something.....

Mate, do what you feel is best and keep it to yourself. For all those who say you're cheating by paying for your job, ask them if they have a CV in with VB, Jetstar or Brunei (to name but 3!!!), or if they would like to work for them. No pay = no job. Full stop. If you get into QF, the captain you're flying with might be a cadet - but of course from the wisdom of others, he is not as good a pilot as them because he didn't fly a C210 for 800 hrs. Having said that, those C210 hours and experience are gold that cannot be purchased or undervalued.

I'm not advocating either path is better than the other, just a few observations I have seen rampant in many crew rooms and aeroclubs. Train and study hard no matter which way you go and no-one can question your ability and professionalism. Hold your cards close to your chest. The mate you thought you had will disown you if it means getting ahead and ditching you as a consequence.

Best of luck with your choice and career.