PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Internship scheme I'm considering
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2004, 01:11
scameron77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMPORTANT

Folks,

This is VERY important, I found the following on the web, as you can see it covers California (for my purposes) and Florida for a vast number of other PPRuNer's out there.

Credit card surcharges and cash discounts

In some states the customer can be assessed a surcharge for using a credit card. However, there are laws against credit card surcharges in CA, CO, CT, FL, KS, MA, ME, NY, OK and TX. Additionally, Visa and MasterCard prohibit surcharges. American Express discourages them in general, and prohibits merchants from charging them if they also accept MasterCard or Visa. Discover allows surcharges on credit card purchases except in the above states. According to Bankcard Holders of America, there is one exception to the no surcharge law. If you pay state license fees by credit card, you may have to pay a surcharge. There are no exceptions for retail merchants.

and in addition (because its pertinent to me)

TITLE 1.3. CREDIT CARDS
California Civil Code Section 1747-1748.7

1748.1. (a) No retailer in any sales, service, or lease transaction with a consumer may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check, or similar means. A retailer may, however, offer discounts for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check, or other means not involving the use of a credit card, provided that the discount is offered to all prospective buyers

Sure there will be similar stuff relating to Florida out there.

Hope its ensured nobody gets ripped off.

Stephen