PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA's Meal Choice, what Meal Choice?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2004, 18:52
Athena5

Unhappy BA's Meal Choice, what Meal Choice?

I've just returned from a vacation (see "vacation", I'm beginning to sound like an American already) in the States yesterday & I flew return with the world's favourite airline. On the way out on one of their 777's I got an adequate choice for dinner of a chicken or meat dish plus of course there was a vegetarian option for those who had requested it.

Returning on one of their 747-400's I decided early on to read the inflight magazine & saw where BA recommended light meals when flying in an aircrafts rarified atmosphere excluding redmeat. Of course roast beef was offered for the meal to eh back up this bit of sound advice but what surprised me was the only other option was a vegetarian cannelonni.

Now given that two of the three trips I took in the States had imposed flippin vegetarianism on me whether I liked it or not (I didn't) & that a fair portion of this had ended up being dumped discreetly in the nearest bin when someone in the group wasn't roaring out to everyone & sundry embarassing the hell out of me "Hey H, did you not like your meal" , I was quite literally ready to eat a cow & had since avidly swore to forego the idea of me ever turning to vegetarianism forever! It didn't take too long for me to decide the roast beef would be the dish for us yum yum!

Imagine my surprise when the rather hunky (infact I could have ate him) but as always married (when the're good looking) male!!! FA told me that they'd run out of roast beef & that I had to have the cannelonni. I looked at him with a mixture of aghast & horror & gave him the flithiest look I could muster. However he ignored me & unceremoniously dumped the cannelonni infront of me.

But he wasn't getting away with it that easily, oh no he wasn't!!! I called him back & told him "I'm not a vegetarian you know, is there anything else you can give me" (thinking of all the scrumptious meals those moneybags must have been digging into in first & business class ) to which he replied in a take it or leave it, stuff it or starve kinda fashion "Well those who order special meals always get pasta" & promptly disappeared & repeated to numerous other pax that there was only one menu 'option'.

Not wanting to contribute to the latest airrage statistics I fumed quietly. Actually to be fair the cannelonni didn't taste too bad but as for that pathetic salad. Now forget about all this noveaux, minimilistic (cheapskating) cuisine, a salad does not constitute some varied pathetic leaves, a bit of grated carrot & a crummy tomato, when can we return to the real mixed salads of old?

BA, you will have to do better than that. Cattle class or not I paid enough for my ticket & I expected better service & variety of meals than that!!!

As for the Jehovas Witness in the queue for checking in preaching in to me, well that was a different matter. I listened politely but secretly hoped for anything I wouldn't be sitting beside her on the aircraft. I wasn't. Instead I was sat beside an elderly Chinese American lady & her lovely daughter. I related the Jehovahs Witness story & the daughter sensing I was about to come out with some very bitchy, imprudent, sarcastic comment said "wait till I stop you there, my mother is a Jehovahs Witness". Phew, stopped just in time!

Her mother said "Don't worry, I won't preach to you if you say you're not interested"
I said "I'm not interested".
It worked, that ended that, she never mentioned her religion for the whole flight. Whoever said diplomacy was the better option the're wrong.