PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GOM - yet another ditching
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2004, 18:21
gomex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with SASLess, as a active pilot in the GOM, for some 27 years. I have seen a lot of improvement in the industry, but, why are we still flying single-eng. helicopter in weather conditions that create sea states in excess of what the floats systems were designed to land in. I know the floats are only designed to get you in the life raft. The FAA allow flight over the water, using the water as a safe landing area with floats. Most of the winter the sea state is such that no safe landing can be made with the equipment thats available. We are only now putting rafts outside of the aircraft. We still have aircraft with the rafts located in the aircraft behind the pilot. We all know how long a 206 will float in the upright position, with a sea state of 3 to 4 feet. About 5 minutes if you lucky, and you remember to pop your floats. They need to be water activated, like the Bell's twins. My company does an outstanding job with training for such events. I believe that only twin engine aircraft should be used over water, that is in excess of the floats systems capabilities of the single engine aircraft. There are now a varity of light twins available for this work, I know it will increased operating costs, but I do not believed the oil companies will go broke, with the price of oil hitting 50 dollars a barrel.