PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather Minimums
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2004, 07:26
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning Raven,

Well actually it's not such a good one if I look outside, low cloud, intermitant rain and gusts.

But at one hundred hours you will be confident enough to start to plan and make longer and greater flights, in doing so, you will without a shadow of doubt be caught out somewhere by quickly moving wx or fronts, I had exactly the same thoughts as you are having now, and one much more experienced pilot explained to me to pick a target nearby, in my case it is Pendle hill which stands at roughly 1800 ft below that and still in view is Jeffry hill which is 1150 ft, the big hill gives a very clear indication of cloud base and the smaller one is my no-go indicator. A lot of the pilots in this forum are the ones who job depends on flying, my job depends on getting wagons going so I let the hills make my mind up about my pleasure flying , that really is the difference, I dont need to go, the Pro pilots do need to go, and what I always remember, is some clouds especially around where I fly contain some very hard bits.

So if I cannot see the top of the small hill in my view, I do something else, Like go shopping with Mrs Vfr, I have been in cloud once with a very good pilot, he knew what he was doing, I was quietly wetting myself and was totally unhinged by the experience, so much so, I wont ever risk becoming a long mark on any hillside!

Fly safe, always land under control, it feels better.

Vfr