PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA & Virgin in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2001, 02:53
InFinRetirement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There IS doom and gloom in the US. I doubt that we will we come out of it unscathed either.

This quote is from CBS.

The White House said Saturday President Bush was "concerned" about the financial problems facing commercial carriers in the wake of the attacks, which have slashed demand for air travel.

Earlier in the day Continental Airlines said it is cutting its flight schedule by 20 percent and furloughing 12,000 employees — more than one fifth of its payroll — because of an expected drop in air travel following the terrorist attacks.

Northwest Airlines also says it plans to reduce its flight schedule by 20 percent, effective October first. Northwest president Doug Steenland wouldn't say how many employees might be affected by the cuts.
Midway, who applied for Chapter 11 in August, hoping that they would find a buyer, gave up after the attack, ceased operations and laid off their staff.

I don't believe the United States will be the only country affected in the aftermath of this barbaric act. From which it will takes many months to recover.

In fact, I would not want to own an airline right now, and I would guarantee that Chairmen, MD's and top management will be in meetings all weekend. Grim stuff!