PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Flight Deck Contamination - Toxic Fumes
Old 5th Oct 2004, 18:31
ornithopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The arguments here only serve to underline that proper research has to be done (if it has not been already). It is often the case that manufacturers play down the effects of some of their products, the list of examples is huge. It is also true that some people greatly exaggerate (or misunderstand - more likely) the numbers involved.

As a quick question - did the BALPA testing take place in the cabin or the flight deck? Ditto the BAe testing. There may be a significant difference as in the 757 for example the air piped to the flight deck is different to that to the cabin. (cabin has more recirc, FD almost none).

It is important to put all this in context. I fly the 757 and while I don't want to stop flying it or run about screaming about toxicity, I do want to make the air I breathe safer if it does have a deleterious affect on my health.

As an aside, I think the health affects of eating too much airline food can be pretty bad. I just need to look at my tum to see that. Too much saturated fat! (esp in the brekkies!). Some of it is great quality (first class!), but the crew food and the pax stuff is sometimes grim as grim can be and certainly not good for you in the long run.