PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Image help - can you read this number plate?
Old 5th Oct 2004, 16:03
Windle Poons

The Fresh Start Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memetic,

I have run the images by someone I know, who works for the same organisation as me and who is what you might call, "a professional."

He has had a look at them and done some playing around, but his initial observation is that there is insufficient information to enhance using any of the software he has for the following reasons. The index plate on the vehicle in image 1 is approximately 25 pixels across and it would be impossible to obtain a number from this. On image 2 the index is approximately 65-70 pixels wide, and whilst this might under other circumstances be sufficient to make an enhancement, and get an index with 60 to 80 percent accuracy, because the image is distorted in perspective and clarity by the glass of your windscreen he reckons that it won't be possible with that one either. He added that the FBI are generally reckoned to be the best in recognition of this kind, but didn't think they'd oblige in this instant! I have hit him on your behalf.

As far as VODS is concerned, I agree with timbo04 that this is the best option if the local force will oblige. The more of the partial index you remember the better (fewer hits), although using a geographical area aswell, is only advisable if you have information to suggest that it was from a particular area. If you limit the search you may miss the correct vehicle. Much better to search widely with the part of the registration you have and then start with the local hits. Another problem is that unless there is going to be other corroborating evidence to confirm that it is the correct vehicle, eg. damage marks etc., even finding the vehicle from a VODS search is highly unlikely to be sufficient to take matters further.

Some, but not all, forces have a local intelligence system that will do a partial index search aswell. This covers vehicles that have come to their attention for one reason or another, and if the offender in this case has got previous, then they may have it on their system.

You could also contact the DVLA direct, who will provide information for a fee (at least they used to), but I don't know if they would do a VODS search or similar from a private enquiry.

Good luck....

WP.