PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Flight Deck Contamination - Toxic Fumes
Old 4th Oct 2004, 23:24
DJohnsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a good 17 years in this industry I do consider myself having some level of knowledge in this area… and I was merely trying to shed some light on this topic without submitting a PhD level thesis.

I did NOT, as you should have read, state that you could bate in TCP but rather in synthetic turbine oils, which is obviously a figure of speech, but nevertheless a fact, without any adverse effects. The industry is required to put warning label on just about everything you purchase there days, from the label on coffee cups “Contents in this container is hot and can burn you”… to “Do not touch the rotating blade of you chain saw” and so on… The government mandates the oil companies, for which I do not work by the way, displaying warning labels on the oil cans, stating that this product, regardless of any amount, contains TCP, with the appropriate effects. I therefore went on to state that there certainly IS a small amount of TCP in most turbine oils, which if swallowed in large amounts is hazardous to your health… and I went on to compare this to for example Coca Cola which contains Phosphoric Acids… also hazardous to your health I large amounts…

Let’s leave the definitions on the shelf for a minute… “TOXIC” means poisonous or deadly to most people and by this definition, a bad case of BO is also toxic? Last, there are a multitude of reasons causing “offensive” odors in aircraft cabin and I pointed out some of them; Poor engine rotating oil seal design, loss of oil sump pressurization, failed carbon pressure face seals and so on and it is up the airline maintenance department, or in the design case the manufacturers, to take appropriate steps to correct this. As far as the CO and CO2 readings, drive your car behind an old exhaust spewing truck in Bombay and you will find all kinds of fumes and chemicals in your automobile and drive on a country road in the middle of your beautiful country and you will have nice clean air coming through your vents.

Finally, the problem I have with these types of reports are that they tend to be subjective and attempting to make a “case” for special interest groups. Lots of practical details are often generalized or even left out; such as in this case the responsibility of the airlines, and the public is led to believe they are traveling in a poisonous death trap…

Dag