PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When PA28 met Mr xwind
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2004, 16:58
MLS-12D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never mind what the academic crosswind component is, are YOU happy to land in those conditions given your experience and ability!
I agree.

What about the position regarding insurance? If you had a prang landing in a 20kt cross-wind, would the insurance have a right not to pay out?
Unless there is an express exclusion in your policy (very unlikely), I do not believe that insurer would be able to avoid an indemnity on the basis that you exceeded the demonstrated crosswind component in the POH. As stated above, it is not a manufacturer's limitation. Arguably it is imprudent to exceed POH figures, but imprudence is not usually a valid ground for avoiding liability under a insurance policy.

Of interest, there is an article in Flying Magazine's book I Learned About Flying From That, concerning an insurer's attempt to prosecute a subrogation claim against a pilot who crashed a 'plane while practicing crosswind circuits. The insurer's argument (which I'm happy to say was rejected by the Court) was that crosswind landings are inherently dangerous and should never be attempted except in an emergency.