PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How dangerous is GA.
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2004, 13:22
U2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Keg

Possibly the reason for your insurance issue is this.

"Commercial passenger transport"

Passengers and third parties (ground victims) are covered by mandatory internation law (read 'air carriers liability act). However, employees such as pilots and flight attendants are not. They would be covered under workers compensation.

The other important point is that the operator is strictly liably to the victims of air crashes. That is the victims do not have to sue for negligence, only prove that the they incured damages to person or property. They then receive automatic compensation, however that compensation is "limited" to about $500,000. There are exemptions from this such as acts of 'wilfull misconduct.' I will not go into that.

I pretty sure that the act covers all types of commercial operation, but obviously does not cover private operations.

The insurance companies therefore would not be concerned about policy holders traveling by commercial air transport as they would be covered under the act for some losses. Private pilots on the other hand are statisitically a greater risk to insurance companies.

As for commercial pilots..well maybe the insurance companies believe that we are at greater risk...i don't know.. maybe do a kamakaze or something to claim life insurance.

Any law guru please correct me if I am mistaken. I'd be interested to know what formulae the companies use to determine pilot 'risk.'

U2