PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Flight Deck Contamination - Toxic Fumes
Old 4th Oct 2004, 02:42
DJohnsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thank you “lomapaseo”… Good summary! It is often difficult to bring all aspects of a complex topic such as this into a forum “reply”. Also, certain individuals can’t be bothered having to read more than a few lines anyway…

Cabin air quality has been a topic of discussion for some time and I see a lot of “media hype” and often-incorrect assumptions. Fact is that most modern airliners’ air quality is well above common households, public buildings etc. as far as fresh air replenishment and filtration is concerned. We use sophisticated HEPA filters in the ventilation (ECS) system, which are strictly maintained. Now the problem is that you can be sitting adjacent to Typhoid Mary, who is coughing right in your face, and you will certainly have a large exposure to viruses and bacteria… and a sophisticated HEPA filter in the recalculation air is of no help… The same thing will happen on a bus, in a movie theater, public buildings etc.

Anyway… to your points;

First, as you pointed out, an offensive odor does not necessarily mean toxic fumes! I’ll bet you will find more “toxins”, such as Phosphoric Acid etc., in a Coca Cola, than you will find in turbine oils… and we drink Coke! “I hope I don’t offend anybody here and I have to admit I drink a Coke once in a while too…”.

Second, and even more directly to the point, a technical problem with the engine oil seals, given the inherent design of certain engines or some sort of malfunction, should be adressed immediately. Now we know all operators does not always follow the same guidelines, and some have a tendency to “defer” certain recommended maintenance tasks, subjecting flight crews and most of all, our precious “self-loading cargo” to an uncomfortable, but not necessarily life threatening experience…

Dag