PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a SATA HD to work.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 19:44
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a SATA HD to work.

I put in a few upgrades today. More memory (up to 1GB), internal DVD RW, PCI Firewire card and a 160GB SATA hard drive. All are working except the HD

I have an ASRock K8S8X mobo, with the existing Maxtor 80GB drive in IDE1, and the new DVD in IDE2. I put the new HD in SATA1. Looking at Device Manager (Win XP), it has recognised the Samsung SP1614C SATA hard drive, but there's no way of using it, ie. doesn't appear anywhere else. I've enabled the SATA controller in BIOS, and on system start-up it detects the new drive as SATA Primary Master.

The manual that came with the guide says not to touch the jumper pins, so I didn't.

As it detects the SATA drive, pressing CTRL-S opens the SiS RAID BIOS Utility. This also detects the drive, alongisde which it says 'RAID status: Single' I'm correct in thinking that RAID is just a way of connecting two HDs together so the computer uses it as one, aren't I? This utility is no help in getting the drive working?

I've downloaded the latest drivers for the SATA controller from both ASRock and SiS (same drivers) but still no luck.

Any ideas? This is the first time I've put in a new HD, so is there anything obvious I'm missing?