PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MOL to leave Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 13:50
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC, isn't this already done on MUC to EWR by Privatair - not sure if it would work with a full load of Y pax though?

Another interview has him talking of setting a target of 75% of all passengers getting free seats. The ecologist in me questions whether he could not save tank loads of fuel just by leaving the jets on the ground.

But the economist in me sees this as a brilliant interpretation of the 80/20 rule - since 80% of revenue is going to come from 20% of passengers, why bother charging the unproductive 80% at all? Result - planes always full, ancillary revenues with virtually no supply costs continue to rise. Forget about charging E1.50 for a tiny can of Coke, that still has to be bought and carried through the aisle. Ryanair's real long-term revenue comes from all the car hire, insurance, rip-off credit cards, and related affiliations, which will continue to grow and grow.

A very clever man Mr O'Leary, still not sure if I like the guy, but I have to admire him. Parallels between MO'L and Maggie - they both did a job which needed to be done, but then massively outstayed their welcome. I'm sure MO'L would be chuffed by that comparison - NOT!