PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser injures Delta pilot's eye
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 06:18
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the info LN and C, it does seem that the danger lies in the concentrated energy of relatively low energy photons - when they are combed into an ordered beam. I imagined that the photons that leave the inner surface of the windshield are not those that enter the glass, and can only have the energy that the latter glass structure can provide. Feynman threw himself on the lorry floor by the way, and could only see a huge mauve flash for the next while, but it does seem that the pilot really did come to harm; the information coming in is certainly cause for serious concern.

The UK legislated quite quickly on the random sale of cheap lasers, but the determined will still find a source. There will always be people that have no concept of responsibility for their actions. It seems that age has little to do with concern for others; the Teeside defendant being an indicator. Prior to lasers, there were the ****** that dropped concrete blocks off motorway bridges...they just don't care, they feel no compassion.

I have always been against deterrent sentencing in principal, but I feel that it is time that, after appropriately promulgated warning, that people willfully endangering an aircraft, or indeed vehicular traffic in this manner, get a lot more to think about than community service.