PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida flying..
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2004, 12:50
el dorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orangewing,

The Florida stuff has already been said. I did Bahamas for hour building in 1997, things probably haven't changed too much.

You can file VFR flight to Freeport as port of entry, do some paperwork and carry on. You need to get a stamp from the airport authorities whenever you land anywhere so that they can keep a track of you (due smuggling I guess). Other than that no problem really, just enjoy. Rules basically same as FAA/US. To get back into US you must file DVFR (Defence VFR) to a port of entry, plenty about.

Be aware that not all airports have 100LL, some only cater to bizjets/TP so only have Jet-A and some nothing at all. Don't go to the limits thinking you can make it to the furthest islnd only to discover that you don't have enough to get back to a field with fuel. Your rental company won't be thanking you and you'll end up paying to get fuel out there.

Also not all navaids marked as exisiting do in fact exist. Many are/were damaged by Hurricanes and take years to get fixed. Buy a Caribbean guide with Bahamas, you will find most of the relevant info. such as Rwy length, opening times, fuel/no fuel etc.

Definitely worthwhile if you plan properly. You must have liferaft/jackets on board for yourself and potential passengers. Can all be hired from your FBO. When I was there (Nassau) I needed some extra jackets, I think the person who provided these "borrowed" them from a long-term parking private jet and sold them for 10$ a piece. In date too!

Last edited by el dorado; 1st Oct 2004 at 16:38.