PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser injures Delta pilot's eye
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2004, 12:37
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, perhaps we can stop the one-upmanship between Airbubba and LaserNigel and return to debating the issue of someone maliciously or otherwise pointing a laser into a pilots face. I can assure you, from personal experience, that even a little Class III laser pointing into your eyes can cause serious, even if only temporary, problems.

A few years ago, waiting to depart at night from runway 35 at Corfu there was a "Cleatus, slack jawed yokel" who probably thought it would be amusing to stand on the road that passes less than 100m from the threshold and shine his laser into our flightdeck. I first noticed the light dancing around on the Captains face and turned to my right only to receive the red glow as it danced across my eyes a few times. As soon as I realised that there was a dipstick pointing his laser at us there followed the usual farce of trying to explain to the tower what was happening and could they please give us a take off clearance so we could get on our way.

To cut a long story short, I experienced spots in my eyes for the next 20 minutes or so. They were distracting and caused some concern for a while. THey did wear off and thankfully there was no lasting damage but to go on about how they are not to be worried about, is quite frankly, a bit of a problem. At night, whilst the eyes are accustomed to the low light level and just before a departure towards a big mountain with a turn out over a dark sea can become a few more layers in the Swiss Cheese if you are not careful.

These small lasers, never mind the more powerful ones, can cause problems even if they don't actually damage your eyes permanently. To dismiss them as being "not serious" is to ignore the circumstances of what they can do and if the dipstick who is pointing it has thought through the consequences of their actions.