PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida flying..
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2004, 10:06
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cedar Key just off the west coast, about 100 nm or so north of Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico, is well worth a visit.

2355' x 100' runway, no taxiway or fuel and a hard standing near the 05 threshold for parking; call up on the Unicom frequency 122.9, give Judy Mason (local taxi operator monitoring CTAF) a shout and your taxi will come and collect you from the 'airport' and run you to downtown Cedar Key where, incidentally, I ate the best fresh fish lunch I have ever eaten in my life. There are some interesting shops as well.

You may also be lucky enough to see various marine life on the way up - but there is a Wildlife Zone and a Nuclear Power Plant en route (just hope that Sector 7G has somebody reliable on shift).

USA AOPA Pilot has run an article on Cedar Key in September's issue, which you can read at:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi.../post0409.html

Watch out for the crosswinds at Key West - buildings and trees to the north of the 27 threshold can cause wicked windshear (as I found out, despite having been warned!!).

And of course, don't forget to make the most of the freebie Instrument Approaches - Plates cost about $4.25 for the whole of Florida.

Have fun.

2close