PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida flying..
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2004, 08:01
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orange,

You will have a great time, been there a few times myself, and it is definately fun flying. I havent been to the bahamas, but can suggest a few places.

Key West, as you have already mentioned. It is quite expensive down there, but the flight is well worth it, the views are fantasic.

LakeLand, nice airport and a really good restaurant which overlooks the apron.

Everglades City, nothing there, but trying to land a plane on what appears to be a fag packet definately sharpens up your approaches and landings.

Venice, apparently there is a great restaurant there called Sharkies, I have never actually been in Sharkies, however, I have heard some good reports.

St Augustine, again nice airport, with a graveyard of beaten up aeroplanes, I am not sure if they are still there? I havent been there for a few years.

Orlando International, purely for the experience of landing in an airport the size of Heathrow, and landing on a runway that you could probably land across, give Orlando approach a call and see if you can get a touch and go in. I did hear rumours that they are now charging you to land, however that was in Miami, not sure about Orlando.

Daytona International, on the approach you get a great view of the speed way. If you want to you can get a cab to the speed way, they offer tours which are quite interesting if you like motor racing. Its great when they are practicing, those bloody cars really do shift!

Spruce Creek, this is a private airport, however I think, I am not sure, you can visit the airport if you are going to the restuarant. This is one of the airfields in Florida where people live and have hangars on the rear of their houses, with a set of taxi ways leading to the runway. Its quite impressive to see.

Melbourne, great pilot lounge!

Also, flying up the east coast, if the visibility is good enough, you get a good view of the space centre and the shuttle landing facility. You used to be a able to get a special clearance to fly down the runway at 500ft however, I think they have stopped this after the world trade centre terrorist attacks.

Well, there are just a few there, the list will go on! If you get a 1:500,000 sectional for Jacksonville and Miami, you will see the hundreds of airports that are on offer.

Have a great time.