PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Were You Ever like This?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2004, 22:01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish, not really sure what your after here, but I will throw my two bobs in.

Firstly, I think everyone who takes their flying serious gets nerves at the start. When we learn to drive a car it is not so scary as we have spent most of our lives as back seat drivers.

My first advice is to go out to the flying school and sit in the plane! Take your checklist, touch each item as you go through it. Sitting in the aircraft will cost you nothing but will work at taking the unfamiliarity away. Thereby reducing nerves.

Secondly, while flying we cannot just pull off the side of the sky, stop and read the rules, then continue. We are constantly in motion, although I did here of a Tigermoth taking off in 45kt winds that was stationary. Being in constant motion means we have to know the rules, and yes they do change from time to time. However, it is not something to be nervous about. I do suggest that a person familiarises themselves with local procedures before we go flying, otherwise why do it. How can you be learning how to fly the plane when you are nervous about the procedures.

One way to get around this is to use flight sim or even a cardbourd cutout of a cockpit at home. Go through the arrivals and joining instructions every second night. I used to perform FLWOP while jogging, I would even find a field to land in.

Thirdly, whilst understanding your ups and downs is great for your learning curve, ie to know when your on the plateau and need something of a challenge. You should not tell yourself you flew like sh*t. As long as you realise what you did wrong and work a way to not do it again.

Back to start, I was a passenger in a plane in which the Pilot (PPL) decided to fly downwind for 28R at AF. Being in MBZ there was no tower. I noticed an aircraft coming towards us, I looked at the windsock, and as sure as sh*t it was blowin for a 10L landing. Turn to the field I yelled, to take us to the dead side of the circuit before we were dead. All worked out Ok, the pilot had a bit of problem with the ol ego, but al was sweet.

Learn, Keep learnin, and when your a passenger switch on to what is going on.