PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser injures Delta pilot's eye
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2004, 16:00
End_of_Descent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lasernigel might be right saying that 200 mW laser power is not too dangerous a few 1000 ft away from the laser source

However, i'd rather argue that most lasers have an opening angle as well. That's very similar to that flash light in your cockpit but a laser has an opening angle which is very small. Nevertheless, being some distance away you'll notice and that laser spot is no longer a 1mm spot but rather an illuminated disk of maybe 0.5 meter radius. Hence the power per area becomes rather small. (But might still hurt the eye; but the eye reflex should give sufficient protection.)

@Loose rivets
Good ol' Dick Feynman was a great and clever physicist but I, too, believe he was wrong here.
Bright light CAN damage your eyes, just look at all those fools staring into the sun before and after a total ecclipse of the sun without special glasses, hurting themselves despite all warnings in the media.
I figured that Feynman didn't know anything about lasers then, because they haven't been invented back in 1945. By the way, it's the number of photons - the intensity - that counts, not their energy.

EoD