PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Captain
Thread: Ferry Captain
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2004, 10:04
Pseudonymn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, the selection criteria for Sydney Ferries is nowhere near that simple. The prospective Ferry Masters must hold at least a Master Class IV, having first worked their way up through Coxswain, Master V and their Marine Engine Drivers TAFE Courses. They must also have First Aid, Coastal Navigation, Local Knowledge, marine pilotage and a few others that I can't remember.

It usually takes a person about 10 years to even be looked at by Sydney Ferries, you have to do the complete written application, attend two interviews and then if you are successful you go onto a "hold" list which is reviewed annually. If you don't get called up in that year, I am led to believe you have to go through the entire process again. There are rare instances of people being in the right place at the right time, but they are very much the exception.

In the meantime, to gain the necessary "sea hours" required for the coxswain and master classes required, you can expect to be driving a water taxi or small cruise vessel, after you have worked your way through the ranks of Deckhand (read substitute waiter, barstaff etc) or come at it from a "host" or "tour commentator."

If anyone thinks this all sounds fairly simple... the Local Knowledge exam consists of a blank chart, you have to fill in all the details, including depth, type of sea floor, all navigation mark locations and accompanying light characteristics etc. Take a look at AUS Chart 200 and then see what you think!

And yes, I have probably provided way too much detail than anyone on the forum really wanted.