PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar Asia?
Thread: JetStar Asia?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2004, 23:23
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

To try to put some perspective into what's going on there, one doesn't need to dig too deeply.

Jetstar Asia is 49 per cent owned by Qantas, 32 per cent by Singapore businessmen Wong Fong Fui and Tony Chew, and 19 per cent by the Singapore Government's investment arm, Temasek Holdings.

1) Temasek is Singapore Airlines' major shareholder;

2) Temasek took a 3 per cent shareholding in Qantas this month;

3) Temasekhas an 11 per cent stake in Singapore Airlines' low-cost offshoot, Tiger;

Singapore Airlines is steadily becoming the controlling interest in the South-East Asia Pacific region - I doubt they have the ability to completely control all of the Asian sphere, as there are far bigger competitors with much deeper pockets, in the China/Japan area. So it is my guess that SQ will attempt to dominate the Oceana area - Singapore and south, to cover Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific island areas eg. New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu.
I wonder how they feel about the Mauritius and South Africa part of the world?

JetStar Asia is a convenient further foot into QANTAS territory, for Temasek - SQ's majority shareholder.

So yes, AoA, I believe Dixon is selling QF out to Singaporean interests, and he knows it!
A truly GREAT Aussie CEO, lah!!