PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2004, 20:05
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJflyer

So I presume the same would apply if you got on a bus and smelt acohol on the driver?

The Pilot was not dragged off for no reason, he would only have been arrested after FAILING a screening test. Which means that he would have had alcohol in his blood at the time that test was given.

No the bus driver has not committed an offence, and trying to sue anyone here would just cost you an awful lot of money. In the UK its a public duty to as you put it 'turn someone in'. Can you clarrify then, that you would not go to police about a peadophile? a drugs dealer? a wife beater?

It may be that between the time of that test and a subsequent test at the police station that his BAC went below the limit....There may some other explanation, I don't know....The fact remains the driver thought he smelt alcohol, and reported it. He was right to do so. Police turned up and breath tested the pilot, he was then arrested. This happens to drivers frequnetly, it is also true that a proportion of them the pass an evidencial breath test. I can see nothing wrong with the action of either the Police or the Bus driver.

Bill Pinnock

You sum up the problem, everyone is different and so you can't have guidelines. I agree a form of walk in testing would be cheap and safer for everyone.

The Aircrew limit is not 1/3 the drink drive is 1/4.