PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Myths?
Thread: Mobile Myths?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2004, 14:41
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'm not sure what I've read is entirely conclusive yet, but it does begin to fill in some answers to the questions I've had.

I agree that mobile phones in the headphones are a bloody nuisance, but its always puzzled me why such strict rules about them on board. I agree I don't want to be the pilot who DOES find out what a mischievious mobile phone signal might do the aircraft I'm flying, but if it is in doubt (and I find that hard to believe in this day & age of anyone suing anyone for anything that the airlines/aircraft companies/mobile phone makers/mobile phone operators haven't tested this extensively already) why are phones allowed on board at all? Surely if there is some doubt - then switch them off & put them in the hold or a titanium sealed strong box in the cabin or whatever.

It does sound like the issue is more what the phone does elsewhere than granny calling to wish you bon voyage is actually going to turn the airbus upside down? Or Boeing for that matter. Presumably this matter is only going to affect the more sensitive aircraft around - if its an old banger with pulleys/cables and brute force to fly it - how can a mobile phone signal affect it? Fly-by-wire, glass cockpits and autopilots - yes, I can see the potential.

I'm certainly curious to see if this announcement is going to make things clearer or not?!!

Thanks for the answers so far ....