PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formation Flying
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2004, 08:41
Gerard123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi T.

We have received some dual instruction, I'm not too clear on my friends but personally I've had about 4hrs. From two ex mil pilots. Sorry about "spice up", I meant make interesting ie no more lonely x-country flights.

"Make sure it is adequately briefed and do not invent things in the air. There should be no surprises, if there are make sure you get to the bottom of why the happened."

"make sure you both know exactly what to expect."

It wasn't a formation member who freaked, it was the passenger. The only real issue was that he (No.2) didn't com his intentions, and I got surprised because he didn't change position in a standard manner. We have talked it out and have made sure it WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

Otherwise thanks for your help and your time.

Hi Silberfuchs.

We have plenty of people to talk to, don't worry. But the more the better right? So where better than PPRune? Thanks for the advice, my wingman was trying to do what you outlined but didn't get as much "back" clearence as I would've like to have seen, he also didn't tell me he was using this method before he did which was the big problem.

I didn't give enough detail about emergency breaks when I mentioned it earlier. I also meant to say right and not left (don't worry I dont make mistakes like that in the air!!). I was talking about if the lead had to break for some sort of problem. If the No.2 has to break we would do it your way. Standard break is no.2 first and then 1 like you said. We fly from separate airfields so when we break we always head off in opposite directions.

We did land at the same airfield once but we arranged with ATC that we flew straight in together then myself as lead would do an orbit away from No.2 to reposition myself as No.2 behind my wingman for finals.

Lots of great advice, just what I'm looking for ! Thanks guys,

Regards,
Gerard.

PS I'm going to try attach a pic to help with regards to our distance. If someone would tell me how to do that ?