PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Rejected landing?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2004, 23:49
James4th

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Fathom, well done, you spotted one of my points:- why practice an auto land (when you really didnt need to in those weather conditions) on a shortish runway which was wet, with no headwind. Why not use 16 (which he eventually did).

I do not mean to criticise the crew at all, far be it for me to climb into someone elses cockpit (I have enought trouble in my own!) But the criticism is directed at Qantas who are very quick to point out other airlines percieved problems while ignoring their own (GS are you listening?)

I apologise to the crew if I was seen to blame them personally, they were no doubt folowing QF SOPs (?) it is those that I criticise.

We all have upset approaches but there is a point you must give the approach away, Qantas SOP says "follow G/S down the the ground" That would put you on the 1000' without a flare, so probably the 1500' markers as a touchdown point with a flare. The SOP says that if the touchdown is going to be beyond 2000', go around.

Now that is OK for international runs in big a/c on long runways but do you think it is OK for 27 on a wet night or other shortish runways?

And what are people's feelings on practice autolands? I dont know the QF SOP on that.

As a touchdown aiming point (in a jet) what do you use?