PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2004, 22:47
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I know exactly what you mean Mazzy - concentrating on one thing and forgetting another. I do that almost all the time, must focus more on engine management and altitude control.

I went out yesterday and did a "Pre GFPT" test for one and a half hours. For the record it goes something like this:

Your examiner askes you to do a weight and balance calculation, checks your knowledge of licence conditions, what constitutes VMC, VFR rules and so on, plus air law, etc.

From then on you treat him exactly as you would a passenger although he flips from "passenger mode" to "examiner mode" at will.

You take off and are asked to climb to 3,500 feet and demonstrate stalls in clean and landing configuration, then a forced landing, then a precautionary search and landing, steep turns and so on. There are competency standards like +- 10 degrees on headings, +- 100-150 feet on altitude, +5, - 0 on approach and climb speeds and so on.

Then its back to the circuit to demonstrate STOL stuff, gliding approaches, flapless approaches, crosswind takeoff and landings and so on.

At some point he will throw in one or two emergency procedures and all the time he is listening to your radio calls and watching everything else.

I was absolutely stuffed by the time I was finished. Practice by myself tomorrow and the test on Friday I hope.