PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M.E.L.s
Thread: M.E.L.s
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2004, 22:44
planemad2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Speaking of icing as someone was, reminds me that there are often ways of getting around these M.E.L.s.

Had an Airbus A300-600 a few years ago, first flight of the day, departing on an International Flight, and when Captain did his preflight checks, NONE of the outboard fuel tank boost pumps would operate.

At first we thought it was an electrical problem, but then we found out they were all frozen.

There was no easy way to thaw them out, and we looked like having a big delay.

The M.E.L. was very specific, pumps must be operating if there is fuel in the tanks, and as the tanks were full, the Captain could not take the Aircraft. (and we only had the one Aircraft).

When it got near the scheduled departure time, I asked the Captain if the Aircraft was already at max weight or not, and if not, why couldn't we just declare this fuel in the outers as UNUSABLE fuel, add that amount of extra fuel to the centre tank, and go?

After checking all the weights and manuals, that is what we did.

So sometimes you can get around these M.E.L.s.

Incidentally, all the pumps came good not long after takeoff, just he couldn't legally go with them U/S and that original fuel figure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaptin M,

Your post wasn't there when I started (slowly) typing my previous one.

Yes, I am well aware of that.

I have also had the reverse situation.

Had a DC9 arrive in TSV direct from BNE, some 30 odd years ago now, and the Captain after doing his walkround wanted to ground the DC9 because the APU Fuel Heater was operating on the ground with a temperature of some 35C.

I finally convinced him that although it was 35C where we were standing, he had just come down from 33,000 feet and the FUEL temperature was probably still minus..............

Last edited by planemad2; 28th Sep 2004 at 22:55.