PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Adventures Pa31 Crash Coroners Inquiry
Old 28th Sep 2004, 21:47
Six Lima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks S2K and Obiwan, like I said I have read the TAIC report and was more interested where the idea of too much fuel could have come from.

Few questions; coroner's inquest seems to be looking at whether he had become visual after the approach and then suffered from the Black Hole Effect. I'm aware that visual aids can be affected by moisture giving illusions at night but that would not account for the significant deviation from the centreline of the crash site. If he was visual, I find it hard to believe he could be that far off unless he was distracted/had his head down.

From the TAIC report:

1.17.7 CAA additionally carried out spot checks on Air Adventures. One of these, in May 2000, had been triggered by company pilots or ex-pilots complaining to CAA, mostly about being pressured to conduct VFR flights in unsuitable weather. CAA analysed the company operational risk as high at that time. A spot check a year later found improvements, and a subsequent risk assessment was moderate.
That would tend to make nonsense of the last two paragraphs of that second article.

I would also be interested to get opinion on what would be an appropriate approach speed for a Chieftan on an ILS. I have only flown a Navajo but was trained to fly at 150kts to 5nm so as to attempt to comply as closely as possible with the speed requirement of 160kts at WN. I found this quite comfortable and stable, 1st stage of flap and gear down. Also complies with Cat B speeds.

It would appear to me that the coroner's inquest is a little bit of a circus, either that or the media are slipping in their high standards of reporting. I don't know that a phrase like "get-home-itis" really belongs in court either.