PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conflict with dad over University...
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2004, 20:38
flystudent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Langeveldt

I found myself in a similar situation to you. I was in my last year of School and was very focused on getting into the RAF as a pilot. Unfortunately I failed on medical grounds which I hadn't even considered ( I mean I had considered medical and thought all was well). So my pathway was suddenly cut very short as I had no planned contingency.

At the last minute I had to make a decision of what to do next as I hadn't sent of any uni application forms etc . I decided on the rebound to go to university(dads idea) and didn't put much thought into the course, outcome I did okay for a while and then really didn't put the effort in as I wasn't at all interested in the course I was doing.
After 3 years of learning lots (e.g. beer funnel construction, organising pub crawls, how to know when the fruit machine will pay etc etc) I left uni with no degree, a lot of non academic knowledge and I like to think a bit better understanding of the world. I then went about setting up a self employed business (non uni subject related) and did that for several years to generate enough revenue to do my fATPL. What's next - who knows??, I just finished the course a few weeks ago so it's time to get motivated and get those job letters out.

I do ask myself this though, I don't know how much it costs to go to Uni now or even if you get grants or who pays for it these days, but could that money be better spent e.g. going toward your flight training vs. uni ?? if you are planning self funding. I know when I went to Uni there was a cut of level and if your folks earned a certain amount you didn't get much in the way of a grant your folks had to fork the dosh is it still the same ?

Reason for this post ? Good question, I think it's to highlight what most of the others say.

Have a contingency ( I didn't, and do for everything now)
Get life experiences (great fun, except the kicking from doormen)
If you go to uni make sure it's something you will get into (even if non flying related e.g. how women's volleyball has developed over the years)
If you go to uni join the UAS or similar (I didn't, another mistake)
Most of all have a great time doing it, who wants regrets.

Discuss with dad, do the old pros and cons thing.

Laters
FS