PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Offshore Helideck Ops
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2004, 15:57
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I'm all for having better data to make decisions with. But the data has to be good, relevant data. My concern is that any data taken will not be as complete as it should be, that it may eventuallly be interpretted incorrectly, and we'll end up with restrictions and limitations that will negatively impact the industry.

Is this data taking going to include comprehensive information on the wind, gusts, vertical and lateral turbulence, aircraft motion, AFCS actuator operation, visual cues, and so on? Who is going to interpret it?
I know of an accident on a rooftop helipad where the helicopter should not have been operating in very gusty winds. There did not appear to be any consideration of the operating environment when the helipad was 'approved'. The question of the competence (read training and understanding of what was being approved) of the approver was never answered that I know of, nor whether winds or turbulence were ever addressed.
Ship operating limitations would be a good place to start looking at this (the problem obviously is that it's hard to drive an oil rig to generate the necessary wind envelopes...)