PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2004, 11:44
GearDown&Locked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once I've asked in this forum why some pilots hold their nose wheel up right after landing and rolled down the runway like that for some few meters and then let the nose wheel "float" into the tarmac. Nice visual effect. But, regarding this interesting discussion, all these landings I'm referring to have one thing in common: these pilots seem to pull back the controls a little more than the required "flare attitude" fractions of a second prior to touchdown. Visually what I've seen can be represented by something like this: the plane is right on the glide path, then at about 10meters above the runway, they let the plane drop more or less 2meters twice as fast than the previous rate, and then slowly reduce this rate to close to zero, at the same time they touch the ground. Seen laterally it’s like an "S". So my uneducated guess is that the push-pull technique stated previously by Maximum is used by those pilots to get some sort of cushion that helps to smooth the landing. As pax I've felt the effects of these landings, and it’s like a small down and up rollercoaster movement, and you almost don't fell that the plane is already on the ground (except for all the panel shaking that starts immediately when rolling).

GD&L