PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2004, 09:04
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John T, agreed that the B733 is on the whole very easy to land.

Without wanting to appear too boastful , I must admit that with the 'push' I've found, much like the fellow you describe, that consistent greasers can be achieved again and again, sector after sector. I like to think my ROD to the flare is more normal though! (As you say, maybe the umpteen thousands of hours on the beast helps too.)

Coming back to FullWings and why this works, I think maybe you're discounting the effect of even a drop from say a foot in height onto the main wheels a little too much. With the ROD reduced to around 100 - 200 fpm in the flare, if we then hold the attitude, chances are we'll still get a noticeable jolt. (The correct technique of course I hasten to add). However, with the slight 'push' just before the mainwheels touch, we rotate the gear upwards just enough to reduce its ROD relative to the runway surface to just about zero. So the wheels kiss the tarmac, and interestingly often the aircraft sits down a liitle heavier on the oleos with this, but this is not noticeable to the pax in the same way as a firm landing. In fact, fairly easy to produce those 'are we down yet' type landings of which JT speaks.

An analogy would be it's like jumping up on the spot then making an exagerrated knee bend just as your feet touch the floor, followed by your thigh muscles (the oleos) needing to work harder to arrest the downward motion of your body.