PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOW act!
Thread: LOW act!
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2004, 04:27
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torres, yes one of the greatest quotes of PNG aviation. Along with Parker's allegged words to his (bleeding) passenger after the CFIW Huon Gulf incident. "Get the **** away from me...haven't you heard about SHARKS?"...or words to that effect.

Yes flying below 500' is illegal in Oz (wasn't in PNG) but it's not in many other places like the US and UK. There you must be 500' from things...not the ground. It can be done 'safely' and it's lots of fun...especially recalling a period which has virtually passed in PNG aviation...although I reckon the few young blokes left 'doing their time' up there are having as much fun as we did years ago. The golden era in PNG ended in about 94, when the Kina was floated...it may have even ended before that when Talair shut up ops in 93. We all had lots of fun times and I personally recollect no-one killed or otherwise hurt doing beatups...well their may have been one who may have been doing one with a donk feathered on a twotter..Torres?

I am sure a few people on here remember the Dash 8 Go Pinis party at Dreamworld in Moresby? When a certain chap came through the compound in a Bandit to let wife (and the assembled party) know he was home. We were all sitting in the hauswin enjoying a coldie when the landing lights were spotted some miles out coming over Parliament Haus. As said Bandit went between the houses and just over the pool and hauswin the CP said to me "Chuck tell me that wasn't one of ours?" "Ummm " Al Craigie (Operations boss PNG DCA) just chuckled and raised his beer. Some many hours later said pilot also tried to jump the pool on 'Black Jack' Mckew's C90 step through And was involved in a an unsidedown drinking competition with CM...now a 'balloon examiner' with CASA. The sight of her hubby hanging by his knees from the hauswin roof beam, next to Clive, drinking an SP was one thing...when we pulled their shorts 'up' around their knees trapping them on the beam and shoved opened full SP bottles in their cracks...which proceeded to froth impressively she was less enthused

Funny days full of comraderie and 'pilot hijinks'

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 27th Sep 2004 at 05:41.