PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASA: Public Safety is Paramount
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2004, 00:23
Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is really nothing inaccurate about anything Dick is saying. I hate flying GPS NPA's in G airspace- on my own, when there is radar there that could easily vector me to final. Instead, I'm just like the blind man outside the court, grappling to find the right waypoint, whilst others sit there and ignore me just because they 'dont do G airspace'. I only have to key in the wrong waypoint and my passengers and I could be gone. We have a $300 milllion radar system, that could make things much safer - but for some reason we cannot make a 'G' into an 'E'. Its only the stroke of a pen and things could be much safer! Meanwhile we hear rumours (and that is what this network is about?) that alarms go off from this wondefulr radar system and nobody hears them whilst plane crash, just becaue they 'dont do class G".

As for GPWS systems, How many times have you listened to a Cockpit Voice Recorder of a doomed plane ina CFIT situation? What was the last thing on the tape? Something like 'Whhoop Whopp pull-up, pull up'? - then silence.... makes one wonder about that sort of thing in G airspace too!

PS Is there any truth in the rumour that the blind man outside court was in fact one Qantas's most experienced senior captains, who just happens to use Class G airspace at other times? He should know! Time for the ludites to listen!