PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 22:31
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
My recollection is that the check/roll technique was useful on the 722 if the last bit of the approach rolled belly up for some reason - generally due to the pilot's inexperience on type - a "save the day" way of reducing the wheel assembly descent rate at touchdown.

Having been taught that sort of technique - as a general way to land the old girl - I must confess I had not the slightest idea of what I was doing and not much idea of where the ground was during the exercise.

In frustration, I tried "normal" Cessna 172 landings and the problems went away... thereafter, I resolved to land an aircraft the way it worked .. without any smoke and mirrors. My two most memorable greasers were on the 722 ... during neither was there any shudder or sound associated with wheel spin-up. Actually quite unnerving ... all of us who flew the 200 knew what to expect if it stopped flying before the wheels were on the ground ...

Like one of the previous posters, I had the delightful pleasure of flying with a wonderful fellow (no longer with us, unfortunately) who would drive the 200 down to the aiming point .. and, just as my eyes opened to the size of dinner plates .. the aircraft would somehow stop going down and roll along the runway .. never could work out what he did to achieve that .. landing after landing. I suppose the umpteen thousands of hours he had on the model helped.

And then, the 100 was among the easiest of aircraft to land consistently well.

The 733 I found just about the easiest aircraft of any to land - one had to be completely ham-fisted to land that model badly.