PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Change
Thread: Career Change
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 18:37
FlyingBeachball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career Change

Hi,

This is my first post and a new member. I was given this forum by the CAA.

I would like some advice if I may.

Brief history about myself: -

I’m 30 years old, married with 2 children, both under the age of 6 and having a semi mid life crisis.

I have been involved with a family business for over ten years and feel that it is time to get out. Due to the nature of my work I have many skills but no formal qualifications to prove my worth, accept my Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies.

Flying has always been my passion and I have been knocked back from every corner. To get into aviation I managed to obtain my PPL and just recently my IMC. I would ideally, be keen on being a commercial pilot as I live and work for flying.

My question is this: -

I am willing to self-finance through the necessary qualifications and procedures necessary to obtaining a CPL / IR and even a frozen ATPL but my fears are, having spent thousand’s of pounds and a year off work in order to gain theses skills and knowledge, will I be able to obtain a job in order to survive, bear in mind there are other people on the market with hundreds of hours of experience behind them in direct competition.

Could anyone offer me advice in the right direction, as I would like a career in aviation but I cannot afford to let down my family?