PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 17:10
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to fly the 737 and I don't remember ever doing that - maybe I should have!

The 'greasers' I got away with on the 73' came about in two different ways. One was to land on one wheel and the other was to close the thrust levers very slowly during the flare so you actually touched down with the thrust still reducing. Totally non-standard and reprehensible, of course.

When I sit on RW05 @LHR, waiting for my turn to cross I often watch the landing traffic to spot technique.

I have seen some really good landings, i.e. ROD reduced to virtually zero just as the mainwheels kiss the tarmac, ruined by the speedbrakes shooting out and dropping the whole caboodle down the rest of the oleo travel.

Equally, I have watched what seemed like it was going to be a little too firm a touchdown, turn into a thing of beauty.

I think the trick is to get the mainwheels on the ground (gently, of course) but with a small ROD. You will then use up some of the oleo travel so when the speedbrakes deploy there isn't a crunch downwards.

To me it seems obvious I'm simply rotating the tail and therefore the gear, up slightly (akin to the 'knee bend') and if I time it right, it produces a very soft touchdown. If I simply hold the flare attitude without this input, it produces a firmer (but a 'proper' Boeing) touchdown.
Yes, it would seem that way but if you actually work out by how much the gear is moving, it comes down to inches. Unless there is something really weird going on in the ground effect. (Always possible... )