PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single pilot checklist - Yes or No
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 16:30
SASless

Received 559 Likes on 228 Posts
While sitting in the back seat of Flight Sims for a couple of years...I learned a couple of things....no...actually...a lot of things...by watching others.

Those that are slaves to written checklists or procedures that are carved into stone....kill themselves with great frequency. Those that are "thinkers" ....pilots that will think "outside the box" rarely do so. Actually, I describe those that maintain true accurate "Situational Awareness" survive....those that lose sight of the "real" situation became organ donor candidates.

Anyone that hollers for the "checklist" immediately upon sighting amber or red lights....what we called the "Dipped Shoulder Syndrome".....rarely did well. Those that leaned back....hunched over....or sat like like a statue and uttered words akin to "What the heck? .....or 'Ere, whats this then?....or "What have you done now, Bloggs?" seemed to be on track for handling the problem.

Two examples.....Highly paid corporate crew....flew both jets and helicopters...all equipped with the best money could buy. Sim training in both types every six months....guys who flew in the Northeast thus very...very proficient pilots. ILS approach....to minimums....until they forgot to brief the Missed Approach...because right in the middle of their checklist ATC created a distraction (Me)...as a result of that omission...missed approach become a certainty (I knew...they did not)....when nothing seen, PF hit the Go Around button on the collective...announced his going around...called for the Missed Approach checklist....of course....PF and PNF were not prepared for the missed approach....during the confusion....PF failed to pull up on the collective (three axis autopilot only) and shortly thereafter...while the two were discussing what the missed approach procedure was....the autopilot disconnected...and they lost control of the aircraft at low altitude and no airspeed.

Other example....two BHL TRE's....VFR...circuits....all the standard callouts, briefs one after another.....ugly response to the Sim Instructor...(not me) about how BHL knew very well what they were doing and did not need any American Sim Instructor suggesting they did not.....whereupon exactly by BHL procedure and exactly as briefed....the PF following the BHL procedure to the letter.....crashed following a high side governor failure that did not respond to throttle that occured just as he came to a hover at landing. He followed the procedure exactly as printed...landed from a hover...set upon the ground completely confused on what to do after he had rolled the throttle off and nothing changed. He then learned that one procedure might not cover all possibilities.

They took their training elsewhere and use their own instructors now.....wonder why?

If you are not "thinking" you are making a grave error.