PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 15:22
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wino I suspect that you and other contributors to this thread are seeking a generic answer or are being too specific about an individual aircraft type. An aircraft's response to pitch control input will vary with aircraft type (and configuration) – the short period motion. Also, so will the effect of thrust, angle, amount, engine response time, etc.

For those who have used several techniques across different types I suspect that the nose down pitchers, at best, will stop the nose up pitching motion (rotation = zero), and thus if the residual attitude is less than that for tail strike a satisfactory landing will be made. This of course is speed dependent, an attitude less than for a tail strike at low speed may still result in a strike after oleo compression if there is reduced lift due to slow speed.

For the thrusters, this can be a powerful effect, not only from vectored thrust, but also ‘recirculated’ lift for wing mounted engines, and the lift from any speed increase. The effectiveness of these varying by aircraft type.

And then there is ground effect!

The nearest generic procedure that I have seen is a combination of sharp pull, check, and immediately remove what you put in (push), with a touch of thrust. Then for a co-pilots landing, a firm hand preventing further rearward stick movement with a thrust increase.