PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 13:10
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have any doubts about the ´physics´ of rotational kinetic energy, take one of your most expensive and fragile wedding dinner plates, rest it on a suitable pivot (NB Zero descent rate), and then whack one side of it downwards onto a concrete floor.
We didn't get any plates at our wedding but the hotel did have carpet.

Take a model of an aircraft and do the same to it. Oh, the tail has hit the floor.

As I ventured in a previous posting the main gear on most passenger jets is attached fairly close to the C.G. (Otherwise you'd never get the buggers off the ground.) Using 'back of the fag packet' geometry, if the main gear was 10 feet behind the CofG and you pitched up an extra five degrees (actually enough to get a tailstrike on the 777), then the wheels would move about 11 inches (and not all of that in the vertical plane). Compared with everything else that is going on, I don't think it's going to make a huge difference to the smoothness of the landing. This example is for a 200' long aircraft - on smaller things like the 737 the effect would be much less.

" you are in a lift which is falling down the shaft. Just before the lift impacts with the bottom of the shaft, you manage to spring upwards at the same speed as the lift is falling." Discuss
How could I refuse such an invitation?

Well, assuming you are using your legs to propel you away from the lift (accelerating it further in a downwards direction as you do so), I don't see much point in doing it. Why? Because the acceleration you are giving yourself to reduce your velocity to zero w.r.t. the lift shaft is pretty much the same as you would experience when you use those same superhero legs to take the impact of the lift crashing to a stop...