PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumbing down in flying schools
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 12:27
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Lycoming recommends that CHT cooling rate not exceed 50 deg F per minute.
On a different subject - I once was involved in debate with some-one on when to apply carb heat prior to landing approach. He was firmly of the opinion that "carb heat should be selected at the start of downwind to give more time with the heated air, put it cold after throttling back on base as there was not much heating effect from then on". Not long afterwards I had my hands on a fully instrumented aeroplane. (Did some CHT cooling tests as well on the way to developing a cowl flap specifically for glider tugs - was easy to exceed the recommended limit on a standard aeroplane - throttle closed and at cruise airspeed). That method of carb heat gave a carb air temp of 34 deg C! Selecting carb heat at the time of throttle reduction on base resulted in a minimum 41 deg C at the threshold. Tests were done at 7000 ft and an OAT of 7 deg C.

Hudson - with that steep turn briefing objective. I'm not sure that you're comparing "apples with apples". Overall aim of Exercise 8 is not the same as telling the instructor student the specific objectives of that briefing session. I certainly share your concern over the deletion of solo stall practice. (I won't start another debate over Tomahawk stall/spin issues)

(deleted a comment - brain out of gear last night)

Last edited by djpil; 26th Sep 2004 at 20:25.